Sunday, April 29, 2018

FLEA MARKET FISHING ...


Fishing at Flea Markets

 I have the ability to smell fishing gear at flea markets or yard sales the moment my foot steps from the car. The first visual signs usually come by my line of sight being above the crowd and scanning for fishing poles in the upright position. Once I spy them, get out of my way because I'm on a mission!

 Sunday mornings usually begin with a trek to Jake's Flea Market just outside of Boyertown, Pennsylvania on Rt. 100 North. Jake's has weekly vendors and also one time sellers that display whatever your little heart desires. I only mentioned Jake's because it is pretty close and convenient for me. There are, I'm sure, a few other ones that could hold great fishing treasures also.



 Each new season usually yields an abundance of used fishing equipment. Almost every type of rod, reel and lure can be found and purchased for a fraction of it's original price. Once you find what you want don't forget to negotiate for just a little better price.



 Buying at a Flea Market usually means no returns. With that in mind you should take your time and inspect things very carefully. Tackle boxes will be displayed with or without lures. Look at the hinges, snap locks, trays and especially the corners for any abuse. Rods can look nice at first glance but again be aware of worn line guides, reel locking mechanisms, cracks, scrapes and loose handles. Rods with cork handles need special attention to make sure the cork is not split or loose.





 Lures are pretty simple unless your looking at the vintage or antique ones. Rubber worms and other creatures should only be purchased if they are still in the original manufacturer's package or at least in a well maintained plastic box.



 Reels can be tricky. There are so many possible reasons that a used reel is not up to par. I rarely purchase a used reel but I'm not saying you can't find a good one either. If what you want has some damage but still usable it will give you the advantage to haggle a bit.



 Last week I picked up a nice box of assorted rubber crayfish and frogs (see picture) for just seven bucks. If I would have had more money it could have got crazy because this guy had a ton of similar stuff that made me weak in the knees.

 Next I found a vendor with a pile of fishing rods. I found one that I really had to have and it was tagged at eighteen dollars. After my inspection I made my offer of twelve bucks. He countered with fourteen and I agreed. So for twenty-one greenbacks I took home what would have originally cost over sixty hard earned dollars.

 
  A few notes about Jake's Flea Market or any other one that you should visit. Try to arrive early for the best selection. Usually by 7 AM everyone is set up and ready to sell. Many of the vendors will pull up stakes by Noon if the weather is hot. Walk the rows of tables in some controlled pattern so that you don't miss anything.


 Look at all the tables because sometimes a fishing item can be hiding where you least expect it. Most items are negotiable but at times just fondling an item will get the seller to come down in price without you saying a word.

 There are usually many yard sales in the area but it takes a lot of running around to find any fishing gear. If your looking to add to your existing tackle or need a few things just to start out a good flea market can be the best spot.

  So now is the time, get out there, have some fun, and hunt down some fishing gear at bargain   prices!

Thanks for reading ONE CAST ... ONE FISH !

No comments:

Post a Comment