Sunday, June 10, 2018

My "Fishing" Bucket List ...


I was recently getting bored with my life and decided to see what was not checked off on my Bucket List. My intention was to find something that would excite and motivate me. I wanted to again feel the anticipation of what was to come. So, looking forward to the preparation stage of whatever was next, I reached into my dusty, if only imaginary, bucket.



Most folks have a diversified list of things they want to do before the final day. My collection has only one theme which is of course Fishing. It is, however, a mixed bag of where to go, what to fish for, whom to fish with and what to visit. After my many years of enjoying this sport I have crossed off quite a few things. Now all I wanted was something that perhaps has eluded me or maybe a forgotten quest that was still actually feasible.I knew there must be something left at the bottom.

Gazing at my list brought back memories of the things that had been done. Recalling some of the accomplishments, now check marked, slowed me down a bit. From catching my first fish as a child to now proclaiming that " I have the burning desire to go fishing although I know, that if I never catch another fish that I have caught enough fish". There were simple things done and others that required intense planning and a never give up attitude.



I was able to close my eyes and relive some of the trips to lakes in Florida, North Carolina, Minnesota, Michigan, South Carolina and Tennessee. Also, the first of many trips to Canada.








A trophy Walleye, Musky and Steelhead also had the telltale check-mark beside them.
















Starting a guide business, which led to meeting and fishing with well known celebrities in the fishing world had also been checked.











 Could it be that there was nothing left? That thought brought me back to reality and it was time to look further down the list.  Ah, yes my boat which I was thrilled to get and more thrilled to get rid of!






Although it is probably fun to fantasize about doing things that really will never happen I have my limits. Some goals are set high but all have a real possibility. At my age I know that kidding myself is crazy.

 Sure enough, at the bottom of the list are two things without checkmarks! I fumble for my glasses so that I can read them and hope they are still in the realm of possibilities.



 The first item is one that has been haunting me for many, many years. It simply says "Go to Florida for Bone Fish". Ummm... perhaps a guide down in the Florida Keys will read this and send me an invite for a all expense paid trip out on the flats. Hey, it's possible!

 Next is a more recent wish that I have tried but yet to succeed in. Again simple in words it says, "Catch a Lake Trout". Since my best shot at this is in Canada during ice fishing season I will plan to try it again next season.

Bittersweet it may be but I'm glad to see the list almost complete. My plans at that point would be to not add new stuff but pick out a few that standout and do them all over again!

                                But I ask .... No one really has a bucket do they?

No comments:

Post a Comment